ICD-10-CM Code A36.0
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
A36.0 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of pharyngeal diphtheria. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code A36 is used to code Diphtheria
Diphtheria (from Greek: διφθέρα diphthera, meaning leather) is an infection caused by the bacterium Corynebacterium diphtheriae. Signs and symptoms may vary from mild to severe. They usually start two to five days after exposure. Symptoms often come on fairly gradually beginning with a sore throat and fever. In severe cases a grey or white patch develops in the throat. This can block the airway and create a barking cough as in croup. The neck may swell in part due to large lymph nodes. A form of diphtheria that involves the skin, eyes, or genitals also exists. Complications may include myocarditis, inflammation of nerves, kidney problems, and bleeding problems due to low blood platelets. Myocarditis may result in an abnormal heart rate and inflammation of the nerves may result in paralysis.
|ICD 9 Code:||32|
Diphtheria causes a swollen neck, sometimes referred to as a "bull neck".
Coding Notes for A36.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Diphtheritic membranous angina
- Tonsillar diphtheria
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #154-156 - Other ear, nose, mouth and throat diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #154-156 - Other ear, nose, mouth and throat diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #154-156 - Other ear, nose, mouth and throat diagnoses without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Pharyngeal diphtheria (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'A36.0 - Pharyngeal diphtheria'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code A36.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 032.0 was previously used, A36.0 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.