ICD-10-CM Code A41
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code A41 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the eight child codes of A41 that describes the diagnosis 'other sepsis' in more detail.
- A41 Other sepsis NON-BILLABLE
- A41.0 NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE A41.1
- BILLABLE A41.2
- BILLABLE A41.3
- BILLABLE A41.4
- A41.5 NON-BILLABLE
- A41.8 Other sepsis NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE A41.9
The ICD code A41 is used to code Sepsis
Sepsis is a whole-body inflammatory response to an infection. Common signs and symptoms include fever, increased heart rate, increased breathing rate, and confusion. There may also be symptoms related to a specific infection, such as a cough with pneumonia, or painful urination with a kidney infection. In the very young, old, and people with a weakened immune system, there may be no symptoms of a specific infection and the body temperature may be low or normal rather than high. Severe sepsis is sepsis causing poor organ function or insufficient blood flow. Insufficient blood flow may be evident by low blood pressure, high blood lactate, or low urine output. Septic shock is low blood pressure due to sepsis that does not improve after reasonable amounts of intravenous fluids are given.
|ICD 9 Code:||995.91|
Blood culture bottles: orange label for anaerobes, green label for aerobes, and yellow label for blood samples from children
Coding Notes for A41 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
- Postprocedural sepsis See code T81.4
- Sepsis during labor See code O75.3
- Sepsis following abortion, ectopic or molar pregnancy See Section O03-O07, O08.0)
- Sepsis following immunization See code T88.0
- Sepsis following infusion, transfusion or therapeutic injection See code T80.2-
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Bacteremia NOS - instead, use code R78.81
- Neonatal - instead, use code P36.-
- Puerperal sepsis - instead, use Code O85
- Sepsis NOS - instead, use code A41.9
- Streptococcal sepsis - instead, use code A40.-
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Sepsis (due to) (in) actinomycotic - instead, use code A42.7
- Sepsis (due to) (in) anthrax - instead, use code A22.7
- Sepsis (due to) (in) candidal - instead, use code B37.7
- Sepsis (due to) (in) Erysipelothrix - instead, use code A26.7
- Sepsis (due to) (in) extraintestinal yersiniosis - instead, use code A28.2
- Sepsis (due to) (in) gonococcal - instead, use code A54.86
- Sepsis (due to) (in) herpesviral - instead, use code B00.7
- Sepsis (due to) (in) listerial - instead, use code A32.7
- Sepsis (due to) (in) melioidosis - instead, use code A24.1
- Sepsis (due to) (in) meningococcal (A39.2-A39.4) - instead, use code A39.2-
- Sepsis (due to) (in) plague - instead, use code A20.7
- Sepsis (due to) (in) tularemia - instead, use code A21.7
- Toxic shock syndrome - instead, use code A48.3
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'A41 - Other sepsis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code A41. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.