ICD-10-CM Code A41.9
Sepsis, unspecified organism
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
A41.9 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of sepsis, unspecified organism. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code A41 is used to code Sepsis
Sepsis is a whole-body inflammatory response to an infection. Common signs and symptoms include fever, increased heart rate, increased breathing rate, and confusion. There may also be symptoms related to a specific infection, such as a cough with pneumonia, or painful urination with a kidney infection. In the very young, old, and people with a weakened immune system, there may be no symptoms of a specific infection and the body temperature may be low or normal rather than high. Severe sepsis is sepsis causing poor organ function or insufficient blood flow. Insufficient blood flow may be evident by low blood pressure, high blood lactate, or low urine output. Septic shock is low blood pressure due to sepsis that does not improve after reasonable amounts of intravenous fluids are given.
|ICD 9 Code:||995.91|
Blood culture bottles: orange label for anaerobes, green label for aerobes, and yellow label for blood samples from children
Coding Notes for A41.9 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Septicemia NOS
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
- DRG Group #870-872 - Septicemia or severe sepsis with mv 96+ hours.
- DRG Group #870-872 - Septicemia or severe sepsis without mv 96+ hours with MCC.
- DRG Group #870-872 - Septicemia or severe sepsis without mv 96+ hours without MCC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with MCC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with CC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Acute tubulointerstitial nephritis associated with systemic infection (disorder)
- Clinical sepsis (disorder)
- Sepsis in asplenic subject (disorder)
- Sepsis following infusion, injection, transfusion AND/OR vaccination (disorder)
- Tracheostomy sepsis (disorder)
- Sepsis-associated lung injury (disorder)
- Sepsis-related gastrointestinal lesions (disorder)
- Sepsis-related gastrointestinal ulceration (disorder)
- Sepsis-associated gastrointestinal hemorrhage (disorder)
- Post-splenectomy sepsis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- This is a manifestation code for use in a secondary position
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'A41.9 - Sepsis, unspecified organism'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code A41.9. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code A41.9 and a single ICD9 code, 995.91 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.