ICD-10-CM Code A50.0
Early congenital syphilis, symptomatic
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code A50.0 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the nine child codes of A50.0 that describes the diagnosis 'early congenital syphilis, symptomatic' in more detail.
- A50.0 Early congenital syphilis, symptomatic NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE A50.01 Early congenital syphilitic oculopathy
- BILLABLE A50.02 Early congenital syphilitic osteochondropathy
- BILLABLE A50.03 Early congenital syphilitic pharyngitis
- BILLABLE A50.04 Early congenital syphilitic pneumonia
- BILLABLE A50.05 Early congenital syphilitic rhinitis
- BILLABLE A50.06 Early cutaneous congenital syphilis
- BILLABLE A50.07 Early mucocutaneous congenital syphilis
- BILLABLE A50.08 Early visceral congenital syphilis
- BILLABLE A50.09 Other early congenital syphilis, symptomatic
The ICD code A50 is used to code Syphilis
Syphilis is a sexually transmitted infection caused by the bacterium Treponema pallidum subspecies pallidum. The signs and symptoms of syphilis vary depending in which of the four stages it presents (primary, secondary, latent, and tertiary). The primary stage classically presents with a single chancre (a firm, painless, non-itchy skin ulceration) but there may be multiple sores. In secondary syphilis a diffuse rash which frequently involves the palms of the hands and soles of the feet occurs. There may also be sores in the mouth or vagina. In latent syphilis there are little to no symptoms which can last for years. In tertiary syphilis there are gummas (soft non-cancerous growths), neurological, or heart symptoms. Syphilis has, however, been known as "the great imitator" as it may cause symptoms similar to many other diseases.
|D013587, D013587, D013587, D013587, D013587, D013587, D013587, D013587
|ICD 9 Codes:
|90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97
Electron micrograph of Treponema pallidum
Coding Notes for A50.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Any congenital syphilitic condition specified as early or manifest less than two years after birth.
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'A50.0 - Early congenital syphilis, symptomatic'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code A50.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.