ICD-10-CM Code A85.8
Other specified viral encephalitis
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
A85.8 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of other specified viral encephalitis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code A858 is used to code Encephalitis lethargica
Encephalitis lethargica or von Economo disease is an atypical form of encephalitis. Also known as "sleepy sickness" (distinct from tsetse fly-transmitted sleeping sickness), it was first described in 1917 by the neurologist Constantin von Economo and the pathologist Jean-René Cruchet. The disease attacks the brain, leaving some victims in a statue-like condition, speechless and motionless. Between 1915 and 1926, an epidemic of encephalitis lethargica spread around the world; no recurrence of the epidemic has since been reported, though isolated cases continue to occur.
|ICD 9 Code:||498|
First described by Constantin von Economo.
Coding Notes for A85.8 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Encephalitis lethargica
- Von Economo-Cruchet disease
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis with MCC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis with CC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with MCC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with CC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Nairoviral encephalitis (disorder)
- Rio Bravo fever (disorder)
- Rhabdovirus encephalitis (disorder)
- Human immunodeficiency virus encephalitis (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'A85.8 - Other specified viral encephalitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code A85.8. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code A85.8 and a single ICD9 code, 049.8 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.