ICD-10-CM Code B54
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
B54 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of unspecified malaria. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code B54 is used to code Malaria
Malaria is a mosquito-borne infectious disease of humans and other animals caused by parasitic protozoans (a group of single-celled microorganisms) belonging to the Plasmodium type. Malaria causes symptoms that typically include fever, fatigue, vomiting, and headaches. In severe cases it can cause yellow skin, seizures, coma, or death. Symptoms usually begin ten to fifteen days after being bitten. If not properly treated, people may have recurrences of the disease months later. In those who have recently survived an infection, reinfection usually causes milder symptoms. This partial resistance disappears over months to years if the person has no continuing exposure to malaria.
|ICD 9 Code:||84|
A Plasmodium from the saliva of a female mosquito moving across a mosquito cell
- DRG Group #867-869 - Other infectious and parasitic diseases diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #867-869 - Other infectious and parasitic diseases diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #867-869 - Other infectious and parasitic diseases diagnoses without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Hemolytic anemia due to malaria (disorder)
- Maternal malaria during pregnancy - baby delivered (disorder)
- Maternal malaria during pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'B54 - Unspecified malaria'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code B54. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 084.6 was previously used, B54 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.