ICD-10-CM Code B96.21
Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli [E. coli] (STEC) O157 as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
B96.21 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli [E. coli] (STEC) O157 as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code B96 is used to code Bacterial vaginosis
Bacterial vaginosis (BV), also known as vaginal bacteriosis or Gardnerella vaginitis, is a disease of the vagina caused by excessive growth of bacteria. Common symptoms include increased vaginal discharge that often smells like fish. The discharge is usually white or gray in color. Burning with urination may occur. Itching is uncommon. Occasionally there may be no symptoms. Having BV increases the risk of infection by a number of other sexually transmitted infections including HIV/AIDS. It also increases the risk of early delivery among pregnant women.
|Specialty:||Gynecology, Infectious Disease|
|ICD 9 Code:||616.1|
Micrograph of bacterial vaginosis — cells of the cervix covered with rod-shaped bacteria, Gardnerella vaginalis (arrows).
Coding Notes for B96.21 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- E. coli See Code O157:H- (nonmotile) with confirmation of Shiga toxin
- E. coli See Code O157 with confirmation of Shiga toxin when H antigen is unknown, or is not H7
- See Code O157:H7 Escherichia coli [E.coli] with or without confirmation of Shiga toxin-production
- Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli [E.coli] See Code O157:H7 with or without confirmation of Shiga toxin-production
- STEC See Code O157:H7 with or without confirmation of Shiga toxin-production
- DRG Group #867-869 - Other infectious and parasitic diseases diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #867-869 - Other infectious and parasitic diseases diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #867-869 - Other infectious and parasitic diseases diagnoses without CC or MCC.
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'B96.21 - Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli [E. coli] (STEC) O157 as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code B96.21. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 041.41 was previously used, B96.21 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.