ICD-10-CM Code C09.9
Malignant neoplasm of tonsil, unspecified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
C09.9 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of malignant neoplasm of tonsil, unspecified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code C09 is used to code Head and neck cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer that starts in the lip, oral cavity (mouth), nasal cavity (inside the nose), paranasal sinuses, pharynx, larynx or parotid glands.
|MeSH Codes:||D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258|
|ICD 9 Codes:||140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149|
Coding Notes for C09.9 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Malignant neoplasm of tonsil NOS
- Malignant neoplasm of faucial tonsils
- Malignant neoplasm of palatine tonsils
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #146-148 - Ear, nose, mouth and throat malignancy with MCC.
- DRG Group #146-148 - Ear, nose, mouth and throat malignancy with CC.
- DRG Group #146-148 - Ear, nose, mouth and throat malignancy without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Primary malignant neoplasm of tonsil (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for morphology code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index References for 'C09.9 - Malignant neoplasm of tonsil, unspecified'
The ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code C09.9. Click on any term below to browse the neoplasms index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code C09.9 and a single ICD9 code, 146.0 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.