ICD-10-CM Code C24.0
Malignant neoplasm of extrahepatic bile duct
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
C24.0 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of malignant neoplasm of extrahepatic bile duct. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code C24 is used to code Gallbladder cancer
Gallbladder cancer is a relatively uncommon cancer. It has peculiar geographical distribution being common in central and South America, central and eastern Europe, Japan and northern India; it is also common in certain ethnic groups e.g. Native American Indians and Hispanics. If it is diagnosed early enough, it can be cured by removing the gallbladder, part of the liver and associated lymph nodes. Most often it is found after symptoms such as abdominal pain, jaundice and vomiting occur, and it has spread to other organs such as the liver.
|ICD 9 Code:||156|
Coding Notes for C24.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Malignant neoplasm of biliary duct or passage NOS
- Malignant neoplasm of common bile duct
- Malignant neoplasm of cystic duct
- Malignant neoplasm of hepatic duct
- DRG Group #435-437 - Malignancy of hepatobiliary system or pancreas with MCC.
- DRG Group #435-437 - Malignancy of hepatobiliary system or pancreas with CC.
- DRG Group #435-437 - Malignancy of hepatobiliary system or pancreas without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Klatskin's tumor (disorder)
- Primary malignant neoplasm of cystic duct (disorder)
- Malignant neoplasm of sphincter of Oddi (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for morphology code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'C24.0 - Malignant neoplasm of extrahepatic bile duct'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code C24.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index References for 'C24.0 - Malignant neoplasm of extrahepatic bile duct'
The ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code C24.0. Click on any term below to browse the neoplasms index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 156.1 was previously used, C24.0 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.