ICD-10-CM Code C33
Malignant neoplasm of trachea
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
C33 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of malignant neoplasm of trachea. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code C33 is used to code Large-cell lung carcinoma with rhabdoid phenotype
Large cell lung carcinoma with rhabdoid phenotype (LCLC-RP) is a rare histological form of lung cancer, currently classified as a variant of large cell lung carcinoma (LCLC). In order for a LCLC to be subclassified as the rhabdoid phenotype variant, at least 10% of the malignant tumor cells must contain distinctive structures composed of tangled intermediate filaments that displace the cell nucleus outward toward the cell membrane. The whorled eosinophilic inclusions in LCLC-RP cells give it a microscopic resemblance to malignant cells found in rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS), a rare neoplasm arising from transformed skeletal muscle. Despite their microscopic similarities, LCLC-RP is not associated with rhabdomyosarcoma.
|MeSH Codes:||D018287, , D012142, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258, D006258|
|ICD 9 Codes:||162, 162, , 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149|
Coding Notes for C33 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify:
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- Exposure to tobacco smoke in the perinatal period See code P96.81
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
- DRG Group #180-182 - Respiratory neoplasms with MCC.
- DRG Group #180-182 - Respiratory neoplasms with CC.
- DRG Group #180-182 - Respiratory neoplasms without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Primary squamous cell carcinoma of trachea (disorder)
- Primary lymphoepithelial carcinoma of trachea (disorder)
- Primary verrucous carcinoma of trachea (disorder)
- Primary malignant neoplasm of carina (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for morphology code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index References for 'C33 - Malignant neoplasm of trachea'
The ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code C33. Click on any term below to browse the neoplasms index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 162.0 was previously used, C33 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.