ICD-10-CM Code C34
Malignant neoplasm of bronchus and lung
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code C34 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of C34 that describes the diagnosis 'malignant neoplasm of bronchus and lung' in more detail.
- C34 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus and lung NON-BILLABLE
- C34.0 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus NON-BILLABLE
- C34.1 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus lung NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE C34.2 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus lung
- C34.3 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus lung NON-BILLABLE
- C34.8 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus and lung NON-BILLABLE
- C34.9 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus lung NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code C34 is used to code Large-cell lung carcinoma with rhabdoid phenotype
Large cell lung carcinoma with rhabdoid phenotype (LCLC-RP) is a rare histological form of lung cancer, currently classified as a variant of large cell lung carcinoma (LCLC). In order for a LCLC to be subclassified as the rhabdoid phenotype variant, at least 10% of the malignant tumor cells must contain distinctive structures composed of tangled intermediate filaments that displace the cell nucleus outward toward the cell membrane. The whorled eosinophilic inclusions in LCLC-RP cells give it a microscopic resemblance to malignant cells found in rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS), a rare neoplasm arising from transformed skeletal muscle. Despite their microscopic similarities, LCLC-RP is not associated with rhabdomyosarcoma.
|MeSH Codes:||D018287, , D012142|
|ICD 9 Codes:||162, 162,|
Coding Notes for C34 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify:
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- Exposure to tobacco smoke in the perinatal period See code P96.81
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Kaposi's sarcoma of lung - instead, use code C46.5-
- Malignant carcinoid tumor of the bronchus and lung - instead, use code C7A.090
ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index References for 'C34 - Malignant neoplasm of bronchus and lung'
The ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code C34. Click on any term below to browse the neoplasms index.