ICD-10-CM Code C72
Malignant neoplasm of spinal cord, cranial nerves and other parts of central nervous system
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code C72 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the seven child codes of C72 that describes the diagnosis 'malig neoplm of spinal cord, cranial nerves and oth prt cnsl' in more detail.
- C72 Malignant neoplasm of spinal cord, cranial nerves and other parts of central nervous system NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE C72.0 Malignant neoplasm of spinal
- BILLABLE C72.1 Malignant neoplasm of
- C72.2 Malignant neoplasm of NON-BILLABLE
- C72.3 Malignant neoplasm of NON-BILLABLE
- C72.4 Malignant neoplasm of NON-BILLABLE
- C72.5 Malignant neoplasm of cranial nerves NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE C72.9 Malignant neoplasm of central nervous
The ICD code C72 is used to code Atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor
Atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor (AT/RT) is a rare tumor usually diagnosed in childhood. Although usually a brain tumor, AT/RT can occur anywhere in the central nervous system (CNS) including the spinal cord. About 60% will be in the posterior cranial fossa (particularly the cerebellum). One review estimated 52% posterior fossa, 39% sPNET (supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumors), 5% pineal, 2% spinal, and 2% multi-focal.
|MeSH Codes:||D016543, D016543|
|ICD 9 Codes:||191, 192|
MRI of an AT/RT
Coding Notes for C72 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Malignant neoplasm of meninges - instead, use code C70.-
- Malignant neoplasm of peripheral nerves and autonomic nervous system - instead, use code C47.-
ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index References for 'C72 - Malignant neoplasm of spinal cord, cranial nerves and other parts of central nervous system'
The ICD-10-CM Neoplasms Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code C72. Click on any term below to browse the neoplasms index.