ICD-10-CM Code C90.20
Extramedullary plasmacytoma not having achieved remission
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
C90.20 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of extramedullary plasmacytoma not having achieved remission. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code C902 is used to code Plasmacytoma
Plasmacytoma refers to a malignant plasma cell tumor growing within soft tissue or within the axial skeleton. There are three distinct groups of plasmacytoma defined by the International Myeloma Working Group: solitary plasmacytoma of bone (SPB), extramedullary plasmacytoma (EP) and multiple plasmacytomas that are either primary or recurrent. The most common of these is SPB, accounting for 3–5% of all plasma cell malignancies. SPBs occur as lytic lesions within the axial skeleton and extramedullary plasmacytomas most often occur in the upper respiratory tract (85%), but can occur in any soft tissue. Approximately half of all cases produce paraproteinemia. SPBs and extramedullary plasmacytomas are mostly treated with radiotherapy, but surgery is used in some cases of extramedullary plasmacytoma. The skeletal forms frequently progress to multiple myeloma over the course of 2–4 years. Due to their cellular similarity, plasmacytomas have to be differentiated from multiple myeloma. For SPB and extramedullary plasmacytoma the distinction is the presence of only one lesion (either in bone or soft tissue), normal bone marrow (<5% plasma cells), normal skeletal survey, absent or low paraprotein and no end organ damage.
|Specialty:||Hematology And Oncology|
|ICD 9 Code:||238.6|
Micrograph of a plasmacytoma. H&E stain.
Coding Notes for C90.20 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Extramedullary plasmacytoma with failed remission
- Extramedullary plasmacytoma NOS
- DRG Group #820-822 - Lymphoma and leukemia with major operating room procedure with MCC.
- DRG Group #820-822 - Lymphoma and leukemia with major operating room procedure with CC.
- DRG Group #820-822 - Lymphoma and leukemia with major operating room procedure without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #823-825 - Lymphoma and non-acute leukemia with other operating room procedure with MCC.
- DRG Group #823-825 - Lymphoma and non-acute leukemia with other operating room procedure with CC.
- DRG Group #823-825 - Lymphoma and non-acute leukemia with other operating room procedure without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #840-842 - Lymphoma and non-acute leukemia with MCC.
- DRG Group #840-842 - Lymphoma and non-acute leukemia with CC.
- DRG Group #840-842 - Lymphoma and non-acute leukemia without CC or MCC.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code C90.20 and a single ICD9 code, 203.80 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.