ICD-10-CM Code D56.0
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
D56.0 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of alpha thalassemia. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code D560 is used to code Alpha-thalassemia
Alpha-thalassemia (α-thalassemia, α-thalassaemia) is a form of thalassemia involving the genes HBA1 and HBA2. Alpha-thalassemia is due to impaired production of alpha chains from 1,2,3, or all 4 of the alpha globin genes, leading to a relative excess of beta globin chains. The degree of impairment is based on which clinical phenotype is present (how many genes are affected).
|ICD 9 Code:||282.43|
Coding Notes for D56.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Alpha thalassemia major
- Hemoglobin H Constant Spring
- Hemoglobin H disease
- Hydrops fetalis due to alpha thalassemia
- Severe alpha thalassemia
- Triple gene defect alpha thalassemia
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code, if applicable, for hydrops fetalis due to alpha thalassemia See code P56.99
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Alpha thalassemia trait or minor - instead, use code D56.3
- Asymptomatic alpha thalassemia - instead, use code D56.3
- Hydrops fetalis due to isoimmunization - instead, use code P56.0
- Hydrops fetalis not due to immune hemolysis - instead, use code P83.2
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
- DRG Group #811-812 - Red blood cell disorders with MCC.
- DRG Group #811-812 - Red blood cell disorders without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Sickle cell trait with coexistent alpha-thalassemia (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'D56.0 - Alpha thalassemia'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code D56.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 282.43 was previously used, D56.0 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.