ICD-10-CM Code D56.5
Hemoglobin E-beta thalassemia
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
D56.5 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of hemoglobin E-beta thalassemia. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code D56 is used to code Anemia
Anemia, also spelt anaemia, is usually defined as a decrease in the amount of red blood cells (RBCs) or hemoglobin in the blood. It can also be defined as a lowered ability of the blood to carry oxygen. When anemia comes on slowly the symptoms are often vague and may include: feeling tired, weakness, shortness of breath or a poor ability to exercise. Anemia that comes on quickly often has greater symptoms which may include: confusion, feeling like one is going to pass out, loss of consciousness, or increased thirst. Anemia must be significant before a person becomes noticeably pale. Additional symptoms may occur depending on the underlying cause.
|MeSH Codes:||D000740, D000740, D000740, D000740, D000740, D000740|
|ICD 9 Codes:||280, 281, 283, 282, 284, 285|
Human blood from a case of iron-deficiency anemia
Coding Notes for D56.5 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Beta thalassemia - instead, use code D56.1
- Beta thalassemia minor - instead, use code D56.3
- Beta thalassemia trait - instead, use code D56.3
- Delta-beta thalassemia - instead, use code D56.2
- Delta-beta thalassemia trait - instead, use code D56.3
- Hemoglobin E disease - instead, use code D58.2
- Other hemoglobinopathies - instead, use code D58.2
- Sickle-cell beta thalassemia - instead, use code D57.4-
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
- DRG Group #811-812 - Red blood cell disorders with MCC.
- DRG Group #811-812 - Red blood cell disorders without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Hemoglobin E/beta thalassemia disease (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'D56.5 - Hemoglobin E-beta thalassemia'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code D56.5. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 282.47 was previously used, D56.5 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.