ICD-10-CM Code D58.2
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
D58.2 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of other hemoglobinopathies. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code D582 is used to code Hemoglobinopathy
Haemoglobinopathy is a kind of genetic defect that results in abnormal structure of one of the globin chains of the hemoglobin molecule. Hemoglobinopathies are inherited single-gene disorders; in most cases, they are inherited as autosomal co-dominant traits. Common hemoglobinopathies include sickle-cell disease. It is estimated that 7% of world's population (420 million) are carriers, with 60% of total and 70% pathological being in Africa. Hemoglobinopathies are most common in ethnic populations from Africa, the Mediterranean basin and Southeast Asia.
|MeSH Codes:||D006453, D006445|
|ICD 9 Codes:||282.7, 282.7|
Coding Notes for D58.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Abnormal hemoglobin NOS
- Congenital Heinz body anemia
- Hb-C disease
- Hb-D disease
- Hb-E disease
- Hemoglobinopathy NOS
- Unstable hemoglobin hemolytic disease
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Familial polycythemia - instead, use code D75.0
- Hb-M disease - instead, use code D74.0
- Hemoglobin E-beta thalassemia - instead, use code D56.5
- Hereditary persistence of fetal hemoglobin [HPFH] - instead, use code D56.4
- High-altitude polycythemia - instead, use code D75.1
- Methemoglobinemia - instead, use code D74.-
- Other hemoglobinopathies with thalassemia - instead, use code D56.8
- DRG Group #811-812 - Red blood cell disorders with MCC.
- DRG Group #811-812 - Red blood cell disorders without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Hemoglobinopathy with cyanosis (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'D58.2 - Other hemoglobinopathies'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code D58.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code D58.2 and a single ICD9 code, 282.7 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.