ICD-10-CM Code D61.81
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code D61.81 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of D61.81 that describes the diagnosis 'pancytopenia' in more detail.
The ICD code D61 is used to code Anemia
Anemia, also spelt anaemia, is usually defined as a decrease in the amount of red blood cells (RBCs) or hemoglobin in the blood. It can also be defined as a lowered ability of the blood to carry oxygen. When anemia comes on slowly the symptoms are often vague and may include: feeling tired, weakness, shortness of breath or a poor ability to exercise. Anemia that comes on quickly often has greater symptoms which may include: confusion, feeling like one is going to pass out, loss of consciousness, or increased thirst. Anemia must be significant before a person becomes noticeably pale. Additional symptoms may occur depending on the underlying cause.
|MeSH Codes:||D000740, D000740, D000740, D000740, D000740, D000740|
|ICD 9 Codes:||280, 281, 283, 282, 284, 285|
Human blood from a case of iron-deficiency anemia
Coding Notes for D61.81 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Pancytopenia (due to) (with) aplastic anemia - instead, use code D61.9
- Pancytopenia (due to) (with) bone marrow infiltration - instead, use code D61.82
- Pancytopenia (due to) (with) congenital (pure) red cell aplasia - instead, use code D61.01
- Pancytopenia (due to) (with) hairy cell leukemia - instead, use code C91.4-
- Pancytopenia (due to) (with) human immunodeficiency virus disease - instead, use code B20.-
- Pancytopenia (due to) (with) leukoerythroblastic anemia - instead, use code D61.82
- Pancytopenia (due to) (with) myelodysplastic syndromes - instead, use code D46.-
- Pancytopenia (due to) (with) myeloproliferative disease - instead, use code D47.1
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'D61.81 - Pancytopenia'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code D61.81. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.