ICD-10-CM Code D64.2
Secondary sideroblastic anemia due to drugs and toxins
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
D64.2 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of secondary sideroblastic anemia due to drugs and toxins. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code D642 is used to code Sideroblastic anemia
Sideroblastic anemia or sideroachrestic anemia is a form of anemia in which the bone marrow produces ringed sideroblasts rather than healthy red blood cells (erythrocytes). In sideroblastic anemia, the body has iron available but cannot incorporate it into hemoglobin, which red blood cells need to transport oxygen efficiently. The disorder may be caused either by a genetic disorder or indirectly as part of myelodysplastic syndrome, which can evolve into hematological malignancies (especially acute myelogenous leukemia).
|ICD 9 Code:||285.0|
A Ring Sideroblast visualized by Prussian blue stain
Coding Notes for D64.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
- Poisoning due to drug or toxin, if applicable See Section T36-T65 with fifth or sixth character 1-4 or 6)
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code for adverse effect, if applicable, to identify drug See Section T36-T50 with fifth or sixth character 5)
- DRG Group #811-812 - Red blood cell disorders with MCC.
- DRG Group #811-812 - Red blood cell disorders without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Alcohol-related sideroblastic anemia (disorder)
- Secondary sideroblastic anemia due to drugs and toxins (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'D64.2 - Secondary sideroblastic anemia due to drugs and toxins'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code D64.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code D64.2 and a single ICD9 code, 285.0 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.