ICD-10-CM Code D68.5
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code D68.5 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of D68.5 that describes the diagnosis 'primary thrombophilia' in more detail.
- D68.5 Primary thrombophilia NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code D685 is used to code Protein S deficiency
Protein S deficiency is a disorder associated with increased risk of venous thrombosis. Protein S, a vitamin K-dependent physiological anticoagulant, acts as a nonenzymatic cofactor to activate protein C in the proteolytic degradation of factor Va and factor VIIIa. Decreased (antigen) levels or impaired function (activity) of protein S leads to decreased degradation of factor Va and factor VIIIa and an increased propensity to venous thrombosis. Protein S circulates in human plasma in two forms: approximately 60 percent is bound to complement component C4b β-chain while the remaining 40 percent is free. Only free protein S has activated protein C cofactor activity.
|MeSH Codes:||D018455, D020151|
|ICD 9 Codes:||289.81, 289.81|
Coding Notes for D68.5 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Primary hypercoagulable states
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Antiphospholipid syndrome - instead, use code D68.61
- Lupus anticoagulant - instead, use code D68.62
- Secondary activated protein C resistance - instead, use code D68.69
- Secondary antiphospholipid antibody syndrome - instead, use code D68.69
- Secondary lupus anticoagulant with hypercoagulable state - instead, use code D68.69
- Secondary systemic lupus erythematosus [SLE] inhibitor with hypercoagulable state - instead, use code D68.69
- Systemic lupus erythematosus [SLE] inhibitor finding without diagnosis - instead, use code R76.0
- Systemic lupus erythematosus [SLE] inhibitor with hemorrhagic disorder - instead, use code D68.312
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura - instead, use code M31.1
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'D68.5 - Primary thrombophilia'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code D68.5. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.