ICD-10-CM Code E23.0
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
E23.0 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of hypopituitarism. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code E230 is used to code Hypogonadism
Hypogonadism is a medical term which describes a diminished functional activity of the gonads – the testes and ovaries in males and females, respectively – that may result in diminished sex hormone biosynthesis. In layman's terms, it is sometimes called "interrupted stage 1 puberty". Low androgen (e.g., testosterone) levels are referred to as hypoandrogenism and low estrogen (e.g., estradiol) as hypoestrogenism, and may occur as symptoms of hypogonadism in both sexes, but are generally only diagnosed in males and females respectively. Other hormones produced by the gonads which may be decreased by hypogonadism include progesterone, DHEA, anti-Müllerian hormone, activin, and inhibin. Spermatogenesis and ovulation in males and females, respectively, may be impaired by hypogonadism, which, depending on the degree of severity, may result in partial or complete infertility.
|MeSH Codes:||D007006, D004393, D007018,|
|ICD 9 Codes:||257.2, 253.3, 253.2, 253.2|
Coding Notes for E23.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Fertile eunuch syndrome
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism
- Idiopathic growth hormone deficiency
- Isolated deficiency of gonadotropin
- Isolated deficiency of growth hormone
- Isolated deficiency of pituitary hormone
- Kallmann's syndrome
- Lorain-Levi short stature
- Necrosis of pituitary gland (postpartum)
- Pituitary cachexia
- Pituitary insufficiency NOS
- Pituitary short stature
- Sheehan's syndrome
- Simmonds' disease
- DRG Group #643-645 - Endocrine disorders with MCC.
- DRG Group #643-645 - Endocrine disorders with CC.
- DRG Group #643-645 - Endocrine disorders without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Anemia of pituitary deficiency (disorder)
- Idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (disorder)
- Female hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (disorder)
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism due to isolated gonadotropin deficiency (disorder)
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism due to luteinizing hormone deficiency (disorder)
- Hypogonadism with anosmia (disorder)
- Lymphocytic hypopituitarism (disorder)
- Immunoglobulinemia with isolated somatotropin deficiency (disorder)
- Proopiomelanocortin deficiency syndrome (disorder)
- Post-infarction panhypopituitarism (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'E23.0 - Hypopituitarism'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code E23.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code E23.0 and a single ICD9 code, 628.1 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.