ICD-10-CM Code E71.3
Disorders of fatty-acid metabolism
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code E71.3 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the four child codes of E71.3 that describes the diagnosis 'disorders of fatty-acid metabolism' in more detail.
- E71.3 Disorders of fatty-acid metabolism NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE E71.30 of fatty-acid
- E71.31 Disorders of fatty-acid NON-BILLABLE
- E71.310 Long chain/very long chain acyl CoA dehydrogenase deficiency BILLABLE
- E71.311 Medium chain acyl CoA dehydrogenase deficiency BILLABLE
- E71.312 Short chain acyl CoA dehydrogenase deficiency BILLABLE
- E71.313 Glutaric aciduria type II BILLABLE
- E71.314 Muscle carnitine palmitoyltransferase deficiency BILLABLE
- E71.318 Other disorders of fatty-acid oxidation BILLABLE
- BILLABLE E71.32 Disorders of metabolism
- BILLABLE E71.39 of fatty-acid metabolism
The ICD code E713 is used to code Fatty-acid metabolism disorder
A broad classification for genetic disorders that result from an inability of the body to produce or utilize one enzyme that is required to oxidize fatty acids. The enzyme can be missing or improperly constructed, resulting in it not working. This leaves the body unable to produce energy within the liver and muscles from fatty acid sources.
|MeSH Codes:||, , , ,|
|ICD 9 Codes:||277.81, 277.82, 277.83, 277.84, 277.85|
Acyl-CoA, one of the compounds involved in fatty acid metabolism
Coding Notes for E71.3 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Peroxisomal disorders - instead, use code E71.5
- Refsum's disease - instead, use code G60.1
- Schilder's disease - instead, use code G37.0
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Carnitine deficiency due to inborn error of metabolism - instead, use code E71.42
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'E71.3 - Disorders of fatty-acid metabolism'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code E71.3. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.