ICD-10-CM Code F09
Unspecified mental disorder due to known physiological condition
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Mental Health CodeIndicates that the ICD code is referenced in DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Version 5)
F09 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of unspecified mental disorder due to known physiological condition. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for F09 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Mental disorder NOS due to known physiological condition
- Organic brain syndrome NOS
- Organic mental disorder NOS
- Organic psychosis NOS
- Symptomatic psychosis NOS
- The underlying physiological condition
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Psychosis NOS - instead, use Code F29
- DRG Group #884 - Organic disturbances and mental retardation.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with MCC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with CC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition without CC or MCC.
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- This is a manifestation code for use in a secondary position
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'F09 - Unspecified mental disorder due to known physiological condition'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code F09. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code F09 and a single ICD9 code, 310.9 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.