ICD-10-CM Code F20
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code F20 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the seven child codes of F20 that describes the diagnosis 'schizophrenia' in more detail.
- F20 Schizophrenia NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code F20 is used to code Psychosis
Psychosis refers to an abnormal condition of the mind described as involving a "loss of contact with reality". People with psychosis are described as psychotic. People experiencing psychosis may exhibit some personality changes and thought disorder. Depending on its severity, this may be accompanied by unusual or bizarre behavior, as well as difficulty with social interaction and impairment in carrying out daily life activities.
|MeSH Codes:||, , , , , , , , ,|
|ICD 9 Codes:||290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 296.5, 296, 297, 298, 299|
Coding Notes for F20 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Brief psychotic disorder - instead, use Code F23
- Cyclic schizophrenia - instead, use code F25.0
- Mood [affective] disorders with psychotic symptoms (F30.2, F31.2, F31.5, F31.64, F32.3, F33.3) - instead, use code F30.2
- Schizoaffective disorder - instead, use code F25.-
- Schizophrenic reaction NOS - instead, use Code F23
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Schizophrenic reaction in:
- Alcoholism (F10.15-, F10.25-, F10.95-) - instead, use code F10.15-
- Brain disease - instead, use code F06.2
- Epilepsy - instead, use code F06.2
- Psychoactive drug use - instead, use Section F11-F19 with .15. .25, .95)
- Schizotypal disorder - instead, use Code F21
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'F20 - Schizophrenia'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code F20. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.