ICD-10-CM Code F33
Major depressive disorder, recurrent
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code F33 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the seven child codes of F33 that describes the diagnosis 'major depressive disorder, recurrent' in more detail.
- F33 Major depressive disorder, recurrent NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE F33.0 Major depressive disorder,
- BILLABLE F33.1 Major depressive disorder,
- BILLABLE F33.2 Major depressive disorder, recurrent
- BILLABLE F33.3 Major depressive disorder,
- F33.4 Major depressive disorder, NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE F33.8 depressive
- BILLABLE F33.9 Major depressive disorder,
The ICD code F33 is used to code Major depressive disorder
Major depressive disorder (MDD) (also known as clinical depression, major depression, unipolar depression, or unipolar disorder; or as recurrent depression in the case of repeated episodes) is a mental disorder characterized by a pervasive and persistent low mood that is accompanied by low self-esteem and by a loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities. The term "depression" is used in a number of different ways. It is often used to mean this syndrome but may refer to other mood disorders or simply to a low mood. Major depressive disorder is a disabling condition that adversely affects a person's family, work or school life, sleeping and eating habits, and general health. In the United States, around 3.4% of people with major depression die by suicide, and up to 60% of people who die by suicide had depression or another mood disorder.
|MeSH Codes:||D003865, D003865|
|ICD 9 Codes:||296.2, 296.3|
"Vincent van Gogh's 1890 painting Sorrowing old man ('At Eternity's Gate')"
Coding Notes for F33 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Recurrent episodes of depressive reaction
- Recurrent episodes of endogenous depression
- Recurrent episodes of major depression
- Recurrent episodes of psychogenic depression
- Recurrent episodes of reactive depression
- Recurrent episodes of seasonal depressive disorder
- Recurrent episodes of vital depression
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Bipolar disorder - instead, use code F31.-
- Manic episode - instead, use code F30.-
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'F33 - Major depressive disorder, recurrent'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code F33. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.