ICD-10-CM Code F51.0
Insomnia not due to a substance or known physiological condition
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code F51.0 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of F51.0 that describes the diagnosis 'insomnia not due to a substance or known physiol condition' in more detail.
- F51.0 Insomnia not due to a substance or known physiological condition NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code F510 is used to code Sleep state misperception
Sleep state misperception (SSM) is a term in the International Classification of Sleep Disorders (ICSD) most commonly used for people who mistakenly perceive their sleep as wakefulness, though it has been proposed that it be applied to those who severely overestimate their sleep time as well ("positive" sleep state misperception). While most sleepers with this condition will report not having slept in the previous night at all or having slept very little, clinical recordings generally show normal sleep patterns. Though the sleep patterns found in those with SSM have long been considered indistinguishable from those without, some preliminary research suggest there may be subtle differences (see Symptoms and diagnosis: Spectral analysis).
|MeSH Codes:||D020919, D020919, D020919, D007319, D007319, D007319, D007319, D007319|
|ICD 9 Codes:||307.42, 307.49, 780.52, 307.42, 307.41, 327.0, 780.51, 780.52|
Coding Notes for F51.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Alcohol related insomnia (F10.182, F10.282, F10.982) - instead, use code F10.182
- Drug-related insomnia (F11.182, F11.282, F11.982, F13.182, F13.282, F13.982, F14.182, F14.282, F14.982, F15.182, F15.282, F15.982, F19.182, F19.282, F19.982) - instead, use code F11.182
- Insomnia NOS - instead, use code G47.0-
- Insomnia due to known physiological condition - instead, use code G47.0-
- Organic insomnia - instead, use code G47.0-
- Sleep deprivation - instead, use code Z72.820
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Nonorganic insomnia (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'F51.0 - Insomnia not due to a substance or known physiological condition'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code F51.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.