ICD-10-CM Code F53
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Female OnlyCode is only used for female patients.
Mental Health CodeIndicates that the ICD code is referenced in DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Version 5)
F53 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of puerperal psychosis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for F53 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Postpartum depression
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Mood disorders with psychotic features (F30.2, F31.2, F31.5, F31.64, F32.3, F33.3) - instead, use code F30.2
- Postpartum dysphoria - instead, use code O90.6
- Psychosis in schizophrenia, schizotypal, delusional, and other psychotic disorders - instead, use Section F20-F29
- DRG Group #884 - Organic disturbances and mental retardation.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Major depressive disorder, single episode with postpartum onset (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'F53 - Puerperal psychosis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code F53. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code F53 and a single ICD9 code, 293.89 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.