ICD-10-CM Code G04
Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code G04 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of G04 that describes the diagnosis 'encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis' in more detail.
- G04 Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis NON-BILLABLE
- G04.0 and encephalomyelitis NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE G04.1
- BILLABLE G04.2 and
- G04.3 NON-BILLABLE
- G04.8 myelitis and encephalomyelitis NON-BILLABLE
- G04.9 Encephalitis, myelitis and NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code G04 is used to code Meningoencephalitis
Meningoencephalitis (/mɪˌnɪŋɡoʊɛnˌsɛfəˈlaɪtᵻs, -ˌnɪndʒoʊ-, -ən-, -ˌkɛ-/; from Greek: meninges- membranes; enkephalos brain; and -itis inflammation) is a medical condition that simultaneously resembles both meningitis, which is an infection or inflammation of the meninges, and encephalitis, which is an infection or inflammation of the brain.
|MeSH Codes:||D888590, D009187, D004679|
|ICD 9 Codes:||323.9, 323, 323|
Coding Notes for G04 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Acute ascending myelitis
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Encephalopathy NOS - instead, use code G93.40
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Acute transverse myelitis - instead, use code G37.3-
- Alcoholic encephalopathy - instead, use code G31.2
- Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis - instead, use code G93.3
- Multiple sclerosis - instead, use Code G35
- Subacute necrotizing myelitis - instead, use code G37.4
- Toxic encephalitis - instead, use Code G92
- Toxic encephalopathy - instead, use Code G92
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'G04 - Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code G04. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.