ICD-10-CM Code G04.81
Other encephalitis and encephalomyelitis
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
G04.81 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of other encephalitis and encephalomyelitis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code G0481 is used to code Limbic encephalitis
Limbic encephalitis is a form of encephalitis, a disease characterised by inflammation of the brain. Limbic encephalitis is caused by autoimmunity: an abnormal state where the body produces antibodies against itself. Some cases are associated with cancer and some are not. Although the disease is known as "limbic" encephalitis, it is seldom limited to the limbic system and post-mortem studies usually show involvement of other parts of the brain. The disease was first described by Brierley and others in 1960 as a series of three cases. The link to cancer was first noted in 1968 and confirmed by later investigators.
|ICD 9 Code:||323.81|
The limbic system within the brain.
Coding Notes for G04.81 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Noninfectious acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (noninfectious ADEM)
- DRG Group #023-027 - Cranio with major dev impl or acute complex cns pdx with MCC or chemo implant.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Cranio with major dev impl or acute complex cns pdx without MCC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures with MCC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures with CC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis with MCC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis with CC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with MCC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with CC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Pyogranulomatous meningoencephalomyelitis (disorder)
- Rasmussen syndrome, refractory (disorder)
- Rasmussen syndrome (disorder)
- Infectious mononucleosis encephalitis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'G04.81 - Other encephalitis and encephalomyelitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code G04.81. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code G04.81 and a single ICD9 code, 323.81 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.