ICD-10-CM Code G32.81
Cerebellar ataxia in diseases classified elsewhere
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Manifestation CodeCertain ICD-10-CM codes identify an underlying condition known as an etiology code. Conditions that arise as a result of an underlying condition (etiology), are referred to as Manifestations. In ICD-10-CM, etiology codes must be coded first, followed by the manifestation codes. When a condition requires etiology and manifestation codes, there is a "use additional code" note following the etiology code and a "code first" note following the manifestation code.
G32.81 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of cerebellar ataxia in diseases classified elsewhere. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code G32 is used to code Neurodegeneration
Neurodegeneration is the umbrella term for the progressive loss of structure or function of neurons, including death of neurons. Many neurodegenerative diseases including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and Huntington's occur as a result of neurodegenerative processes. Such diseases are incurable, resulting in progressive degeneration and/or death of neuron cells. As research progresses, many similarities appear that relate these diseases to one another on a sub-cellular level. Discovering these similarities offers hope for therapeutic advances that could ameliorate many diseases simultaneously. There are many parallels between different neurodegenerative disorders including atypical protein assemblies as well as induced cell death. Neurodegeneration can be found in many different levels of neuronal circuitry ranging from molecular to systemic.
Coding Notes for G32.81 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
- Underlying disease, such as:
- Celiac disease (with gluten ataxia) See code K90.0
- Cerebellar ataxia (in) neoplastic disease (paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration) See Section C00-D49
- Non-celiac gluten ataxia See code M35.9
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Systemic atrophy primarily affecting the central nervous system in alcoholic cerebellar ataxia - instead, use code G31.2
- Systemic atrophy primarily affecting the central nervous system in myxedema - instead, use code G13.2
- DRG Group #058-060 - Multiple sclerosis and cerebellar ataxia with MCC.
- DRG Group #058-060 - Multiple sclerosis and cerebellar ataxia with CC.
- DRG Group #058-060 - Multiple sclerosis and cerebellar ataxia without CC or MCC.
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'G32.81 - Cerebellar ataxia in diseases classified elsewhere'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code G32.81. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 334.4 was previously used, G32.81 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.