ICD-10-CM Code G40.4
Other generalized epilepsy and epileptic syndromes
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code G40.4 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the two child codes of G40.4 that describes the diagnosis 'other generalized epilepsy and epileptic syndromes' in more detail.
- G40.4 Other generalized epilepsy and epileptic syndromes NON-BILLABLE
- G40.40 Other generalized epilepsy and epileptic NON-BILLABLE
- G40.41 Other generalized epilepsy and epileptic NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code G404 is used to code Ohtahara syndrome
Ohtahara syndrome (OS), also known as Early Infantile Epileptic Encephalopathy with Burst-Suppression (EIEE), is a progressive epileptic encephalopathy. The syndrome is outwardly characterized by tonic spasms and partial seizures, and receives its more elaborate name from the pattern of burst activity on an electroencephalogram (EEG). It is an extremely debilitating progressive neurological disorder, involving intractable seizures and severe mental retardation. No single cause has been identified, although in many cases structural brain damage is present.
|MeSH Codes:||, , D013036|
|ICD 9 Codes:||, 345.0, 345.6|
Coding Notes for G40.4 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Epilepsy with grand mal seizures on awakening
- Epilepsy with myoclonic absences
- Epilepsy with myoclonic-astatic seizures
- Grand mal seizure NOS
- Nonspecific atonic epileptic seizures
- Nonspecific clonic epileptic seizures
- Nonspecific myoclonic epileptic seizures
- Nonspecific tonic epileptic seizures
- Nonspecific tonic-clonic epileptic seizures
- Symptomatic early myoclonic encephalopathy
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Salaam spasm (finding)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'G40.4 - Other generalized epilepsy and epileptic syndromes'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code G40.4. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Parent Code: G40 - Epilepsy and recurrent seizures