ICD-10-CM Code G40.5
Epileptic seizures related to external causes
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code G40.5 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the one child codes of G40.5 that describes the diagnosis 'epileptic seizures related to external causes' in more detail.
- G40.5 Epileptic seizures related to external causes NON-BILLABLE
- G40.50 Epileptic seizures related to external NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code G405 is used to code Epilepsia partialis continua
Epilepsia partialis continua (also called Kojevnikov's epilepsia) is a rare type of brain disorder in which a patient experiences recurrent motor epileptic seizures that are focal (hands and face), and recur every few seconds or minutes for extended periods (days or years).
|ICD 9 Code:||345.7|
Coding Notes for G40.5 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Epileptic seizures related to alcohol
- Epileptic seizures related to drugs
- Epileptic seizures related to hormonal changes
- Epileptic seizures related to sleep deprivation
- Epileptic seizures related to stress
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code for adverse effect, if applicable, to identify drug See Section T36-T50 with fifth or sixth character 5)
Code Also Note:
Code AlsoA Code Also note indicates that two or more codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but the order of codes is at the coder's discretion. Code order depends on the severity of the conditions and the reason for the encounter.
- , if applicable, associated epilepsy and recurrent seizures See code G40.-
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Narcotic withdrawal epilepsy (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
- Possible requirement for causative agent code