ICD-10-CM Code G44
Other headache syndromes
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code G44 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the seven child codes of G44 that describes the diagnosis 'other headache syndromes' in more detail.
- G44 Other headache syndromes NON-BILLABLE
- G44.0 NON-BILLABLE
- G44.00 Cluster headache syndrome, unspecified NON-BILLABLE
- G44.01 Episodic cluster headache NON-BILLABLE
- G44.02 Chronic cluster headache NON-BILLABLE
- G44.03 Episodic paroxysmal hemicrania NON-BILLABLE
- G44.04 Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania NON-BILLABLE
- G44.05 Short lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache with conjunctival injection and tearing (SUNCT) NON-BILLABLE
- G44.09 Other trigeminal autonomic cephalgias (TAC) NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE G44.1
- G44.2 headache NON-BILLABLE
- G44.3 headache NON-BILLABLE
- G44.4 NON-BILLABLE
- G44.5 headache syndromes NON-BILLABLE
- G44.8 Other headache syndromes NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code G44 is used to code Headache
Headache, also known as cephalalgia, is pain anywhere in the region of the head or neck. It can be a symptom of a number of different conditions of the head and neck.
|MeSH Codes:||D006261, D006261|
|ICD 9 Codes:||339, 784.0|
Woman with a headache
Coding Notes for G44 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Headache NOS - instead, use Code R51
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Atypical facial pain - instead, use code G50.1
- Headache due to lumbar puncture - instead, use code G97.1
- Migraines - instead, use code G43.-
- Trigeminal neuralgia - instead, use code G50.0
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'G44 - Other headache syndromes'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code G44. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.