ICD-10-CM Code H54.8
Legal blindness, as defined in USA
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
H54.8 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of legal blindness, as defined in USA. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for H54.8 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Blindness NOS according to USA definition
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Legal blindness with specification of impairment level (H54.0-H54.7) - instead, use code H54.0-
- Code Notes:
- The table below gives a classification of severity of visual impairment recommended by a WHO Study Group on the Prevention of Blindness, Geneva, 6-10 November 1972.
- The term 'low vision' in category Code H54 comprises categories 1 and 2 of the table, the term 'blindness' categories 3, 4 and 5, and the term 'unqualified visual loss' category 9.
- If the extent of the visual field is taken into account, patients with a field no greater than 10 but greater than 5 around central fixation should be placed in category 3 and patients with a field no greater than 5 around central fixation should be placed in category 4, even if the central acuity is not impaired.
- DRG Group #124-125 - Other disorders of the eye with MCC.
- DRG Group #124-125 - Other disorders of the eye without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Visual acuity less than .1 (6/60,20/200) or visual field less than 20 degrees, but better than 3. (finding)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'H54.8 - Legal blindness, as defined in USA'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code H54.8. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code H54.8 and a single ICD9 code, 369.4 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.