ICD-10-CM Code I10
Essential (primary) hypertension
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
I10 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of essential (primary) hypertension. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code I10 is used to code Hypertensive emergency
A hypertensive emergency (Systolic over 180 or diastolic over 120)(formerly called "malignant hypertension") is hypertension (high blood pressure) with acute impairment of one or more organ systems (especially the central nervous system, cardiovascular system and/or the renal system) that can result in irreversible organ damage. In a hypertensive emergency, the blood pressure should be slowly lowered over a period of minutes to hours with an antihypertensive agent.
|MeSH Codes:||D006974, D006974, D006974, D006974, D006974|
|ICD 9 Codes:||401, 402, 404, 403, 405|
Micrograph showing thrombotic microangiopathy, a histomorphologic finding seen in malignant hypertension. Kidney biopsy. PAS stain.
Coding Notes for I10 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- High blood pressure
- Hypertension (arterial) (benign) (essential) (malignant) (primary) (systemic)
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Hypertensive disease complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium - instead, use Section O10-O11, O13-O16)
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Essential (primary) hypertension involving vessels of brain - instead, use Section I60-I69
- Essential (primary) hypertension involving vessels of eye - instead, use code H35.0-
- DRG Group #304-305 - Hypertension with MCC.
- DRG Group #304-305 - Hypertension without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Benign essential hypertension (disorder)
- Labile diastolic hypertension (disorder)
- Hypertensive emergency (disorder)
- Malignant hypertension (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'I10 - Essential (primary) hypertension'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code I10. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code I10 and a single ICD9 code, 401.9 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.