ICD-10-CM Code I20
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code I20 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the four child codes of I20 that describes the diagnosis 'angina pectoris' in more detail.
- I20 Angina pectoris NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code I20 is used to code Coronary artery disease
Coronary artery disease (CAD), also known as ischemic heart disease (IHD), is a group of diseases that includes: stable angina, unstable angina, myocardial infarction, and sudden coronary death. It is within the group of cardiovascular diseases of which it is the most common type. A common symptom is chest pain or discomfort which may travel into the shoulder, arm, back, neck, or jaw. Occasionally it may feel like heartburn. Usually symptoms occur with exercise or emotional stress, last less than a few minutes, and get better with rest. Shortness of breath may also occur and sometimes no symptoms are present. The first sign is occasionally a heart attack. Other complications include heart failure or an irregular heartbeat.
|Specialty:||Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery|
|MeSH Codes:||D003324, D003324, D003324, D003324, D003324, D003324|
|ICD 9 Codes:||410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 429.2|
Illustration depicting atherosclerosis in a coronary artery.
Coding Notes for I20 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify:
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Angina pectoris with atherosclerotic heart disease of native coronary arteries - instead, use code I25.1-
- Atherosclerosis of coronary artery bypass graft(s) and coronary artery of transplanted heart with angina pectoris - instead, use code I25.7-
- Postinfarction angina - instead, use code I23.7
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'I20 - Angina pectoris'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code I20. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.