ICD-10-CM Code I21
ST elevation (STEMI) and non-ST elevation (NSTEMI) myocardial infarction
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code I21 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the five child codes of I21 that describes the diagnosis 'stemi & nstemi mocard infrc' in more detail.
- I21 ST elevation (STEMI) and non-ST elevation (NSTEMI) myocardial infarction NON-BILLABLE
- I21.0 ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction NON-BILLABLE
- I21.01 ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction involving left main coronary artery BILLABLE
- I21.02 ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction involving left anterior descending coronary artery BILLABLE
- I21.09 ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction involving other coronary artery of anterior wall BILLABLE
- I21.1 ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction NON-BILLABLE
- I21.2 ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE I21.3 ST elevation (STEMI) myocardial infarction
- BILLABLE I21.4 elevation (NSTEMI) myocardial infarction
The ICD code I21 is used to code Coronary artery disease
Coronary artery disease (CAD), also known as ischemic heart disease (IHD), is a group of diseases that includes: stable angina, unstable angina, myocardial infarction, and sudden coronary death. It is within the group of cardiovascular diseases of which it is the most common type. A common symptom is chest pain or discomfort which may travel into the shoulder, arm, back, neck, or jaw. Occasionally it may feel like heartburn. Usually symptoms occur with exercise or emotional stress, last less than a few minutes, and get better with rest. Shortness of breath may also occur and sometimes no symptoms are present. The first sign is occasionally a heart attack. Other complications include heart failure or an irregular heartbeat.
|Specialty:||Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery|
|MeSH Codes:||D003324, D003324, D003324, D003324, D003324, D003324|
|ICD 9 Codes:||410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 429.2|
Illustration depicting atherosclerosis in a coronary artery.
Coding Notes for I21 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Cardiac infarction
- Coronary (artery) embolism
- Coronary (artery) occlusion
- Coronary (artery) rupture
- Coronary (artery) thrombosis
- Infarction of heart, myocardium, or ventricle
- Myocardial infarction specified as acute or with a stated duration of 4 weeks (28 days) or less from onset
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code, if applicable, to identify:
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Status post administration of tPA (rtPA) in a different facility within the last 24 hours prior to admission to current facility See code Z92.82
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Old myocardial infarction - instead, use code I25.2
- Postmyocardial infarction syndrome - instead, use code I24.1
- Subsequent myocardial infarction - instead, use code I22.-
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'I21 - ST elevation (STEMI) and non-ST elevation (NSTEMI) myocardial infarction'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code I21. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.