ICD-10-CM Code I63.9
Cerebral infarction, unspecified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
I63.9 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of cerebral infarction, unspecified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code I63 is used to code Cerebral infarction
A cerebral infarction is a type of ischemic stroke resulting from a blockage in the blood vessels supplying blood to the brain. It can be atherothrombotic or embolic. Stroke caused by cerebral infarction should be distinguished from two other kinds of stroke: cerebral hemorrhage and subarachnoid hemorrhage. A cerebral infarction occurs when a blood vessel that supplies a part of the brain becomes blocked or leakage occurs outside the vessel walls. This loss of blood supply results in the death of tissue in that area. Cerebral infarctions vary in their severity with one third of the cases resulting in death.
|MeSH Codes:||D002544, D002544, D002544|
|ICD 9 Codes:||434.01, 434.11, 434.91|
CT scan slice of the brain showing a right-hemispheric cerebral infarct (left side of image).
Coding Notes for I63.9 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Stroke NOS
- DRG Group #023-027 - Cranio with major dev impl or acute complex cns pdx with MCC or chemo implant.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Cranio with major dev impl or acute complex cns pdx without MCC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures with MCC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures with CC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #061-063 - Acute ischemic stroke with use of thrombolytic agent with MCC.
- DRG Group #061-063 - Acute ischemic stroke with use of thrombolytic agent with CC.
- DRG Group #061-063 - Acute ischemic stroke with use of thrombolytic agent without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #064-066 - Intracranial hemorrhage or cerebral infarction with MCC.
- DRG Group #064-066 - Intracranial hemorrhage or cerebral infarction with CC or tpa in 24 hrs.
- DRG Group #064-066 - Intracranial hemorrhage or cerebral infarction without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'I63.9 - Cerebral infarction, unspecified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code I63.9. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code I63.9 and a single ICD9 code, 434.91 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.