ICD-10-CM Code I80
Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code I80 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of I80 that describes the diagnosis 'phlebitis and thrombophlebitis' in more detail.
- I80 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis NON-BILLABLE
- I80.0 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis NON-BILLABLE
- I80.00 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of superficial vessels of unspecified lower extremity BILLABLE
- I80.01 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of superficial vessels of right lower extremity BILLABLE
- I80.02 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of superficial vessels of left lower extremity BILLABLE
- I80.03 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of superficial vessels of lower extremities, bilateral BILLABLE
- I80.1 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis NON-BILLABLE
- I80.2 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis NON-BILLABLE
- I80.20 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of unspecified deep vessels of lower extremities NON-BILLABLE
- I80.21 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of iliac vein NON-BILLABLE
- I80.22 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of popliteal vein NON-BILLABLE
- I80.23 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of tibial vein NON-BILLABLE
- I80.29 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis of other deep vessels of lower extremities NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE I80.3 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis
- BILLABLE I80.8 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis
- BILLABLE I80.9 Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis
The ICD code I80 is used to code Thrombosis
Thrombosis (Greek: θρόμβωσις) is the formation of a blood clot (thrombus; Greek: θρόμβος) inside a blood vessel, obstructing the flow of blood through the circulatory system. When a blood vessel is injured, the body uses platelets (thrombocytes) and fibrin to form a blood clot to prevent blood loss. Even when a blood vessel is not injured, blood clots may form in the body under certain conditions. A clot that breaks free and begins to travel around the body is known as an embolus.
|MeSH Codes:||D013927, D013927, D013927, D013927|
|ICD 9 Codes:||437.6, 453, 671.5, 671.9|
Cyanosis of the lower right extremity, resulting from acute arterial thrombosis of the right leg (on the left side of the image)
Coding Notes for I80 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Inflammation, vein
- Suppurative phlebitis
- Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis complicating abortion, ectopic or molar pregnancy See Section O00-O07, O08.7)
- Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O22.-, O87.-) See code O22.-
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Venous embolism and thrombosis of lower extremities (I82.4-, I82.5-, I82.81-) - instead, use code I82.4-
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'I80 - Phlebitis and thrombophlebitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code I80. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.