ICD-10-CM Code I86.2
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
I86.2 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of pelvic varices. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code I86 is used to code Varicose veins
Varicose veins are veins that have become enlarged and twisted. The term commonly refers to the veins on the leg, although varicose veins can occur elsewhere. Veins have pairs of leaflet valves to prevent blood from flowing backwards (retrograde flow or venous reflux). Leg muscles pump the veins to return blood to the heart (the skeletal-muscle pump), against the effects of gravity. When veins become varicose, the leaflets of the valves no longer meet properly, and the valves do not work (valvular incompetence). This allows blood to flow backwards and they enlarge even more. Varicose veins are most common in the superficial veins of the legs, which are subject to high pressure when standing. Besides being a cosmetic problem, varicose veins can be painful, especially when standing. Severe long-standing varicose veins can lead to leg swelling, venous eczema, skin thickening (lipodermatosclerosis) and ulceration. Life-threatening complications are uncommon, but varicose veins may be confused with deep vein thrombosis, which may be life-threatening.
|MeSH Codes:||D014648, D014648, D014648, D014648|
|ICD 9 Codes:||454, 455, 456, 671|
Leg affected by varicose veins
- DRG Group #729-730 - Other male reproductive system diagnoses with CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #729-730 - Other male reproductive system diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #742-743 - Uterine and adnexa procedure for non-malignancy with CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #742-743 - Uterine and adnexa procedure for non-malignancy without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #760-761 - Menstrual and other female reproductive system disorders with CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #760-761 - Menstrual and other female reproductive system disorders without CC or MCC.
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'I86.2 - Pelvic varices'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code I86.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 456.5 was previously used, I86.2 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.