ICD-10-CM Code I96
Gangrene, not elsewhere classified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
I96 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of gangrene, not elsewhere classified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for I96 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Gangrenous cellulitis
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Gangrene in atherosclerosis of native arteries of the extremities - instead, use code I70.26
- Gangrene in diabetes mellitus - instead, use Section E08-E13
- Gangrene in hernia (K40.1, K40.4, K41.1, K41.4, K42.1, K43.1-, K44.1, K45.1, K46.1) - instead, use code K40.1
- Gangrene in other peripheral vascular diseases - instead, use code I73.-
- Gangrene of certain specified sites - see Alphabetical Index
- Gas gangrene - instead, use code A48.0
- Pyoderma gangrenosum - instead, use Code L88
- DRG Group #299-301 - Peripheral vascular disorders with MCC.
- DRG Group #299-301 - Peripheral vascular disorders with CC.
- DRG Group #299-301 - Peripheral vascular disorders without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Wound edge necrosis (finding)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'I96 - Gangrene, not elsewhere classified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code I96. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code I96 and a single ICD9 code, 785.4 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.