ICD-10-CM Code J02.8
Acute pharyngitis due to other specified organisms
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J02.8 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of acute pharyngitis due to other specified organisms. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J02 is used to code Pharyngitis
Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the pharynx, a region in the back of the throat. In most cases it is painful, and it is the most common cause of a sore throat.
|MeSH Codes:||D010612, D010612|
|ICD 9 Codes:||462, 472.1|
Inflamed oropharynx: swollen and red.
Coding Notes for J02.8 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code See Section B95-B97 to identify infectious agent
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acute pharyngitis due to coxsackie virus - instead, use code B08.5
- Acute pharyngitis due to gonococcus - instead, use code A54.5
- Acute pharyngitis due to herpes [simplex] virus - instead, use code B00.2
- Acute pharyngitis due to infectious mononucleosis - instead, use code B27.-
- Enteroviral vesicular pharyngitis - instead, use code B08.5
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri with MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Acute pneumococcal pharyngitis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J02.8 - Acute pharyngitis due to other specified organisms'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J02.8. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J02.8 and a single ICD9 code, 462 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.