ICD-10-CM Code J02.9
Acute pharyngitis, unspecified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J02.9 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of acute pharyngitis, unspecified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J02 is used to code Pharyngitis
Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the pharynx, a region in the back of the throat. In most cases it is painful, and it is the most common cause of a sore throat.
|MeSH Codes:||D010612, D010612|
|ICD 9 Codes:||462, 472.1|
Inflamed oropharynx: swollen and red.
Coding Notes for J02.9 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Gangrenous pharyngitis (acute)
- Infective pharyngitis (acute) NOS
- Pharyngitis (acute) NOS
- Sore throat (acute) NOS
- Suppurative pharyngitis (acute)
- Ulcerative pharyngitis (acute)
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri with MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Ulcerative pharyngitis (disorder)
- Glandular fever pharyngitis (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J02.9 - Acute pharyngitis, unspecified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J02.9. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J02.9 and a single ICD9 code, 462 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.