ICD-10-CM Code J03.8
Acute tonsillitis due to other specified organisms
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code J03.8 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the two child codes of J03.8 that describes the diagnosis 'acute tonsillitis due to other specified organisms' in more detail.
- J03.8 Acute tonsillitis due to other specified organisms NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code J03 is used to code Upper respiratory tract infection
Upper respiratory tract infections (URI or URTI) are illnesses caused by an acute infection which involves the upper respiratory tract including the nose, sinuses, pharynx or larynx. This commonly includes tonsillitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis, sinusitis, otitis media, and the common cold.
|ICD 9 Codes:||465.9, 465.9|
Coding Notes for J03.8 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code See Section B95-B97 to identify infectious agent.
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Diphtheritic tonsillitis - instead, use code A36.0
- Herpesviral pharyngotonsillitis - instead, use code B00.2
- Streptococcal tonsillitis - instead, use code J03.0
- Tuberculous tonsillitis - instead, use code A15.8
- Vincent's tonsillitis - instead, use code A69.1
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Fusobacterial necrotizing tonsillitis (disorder)
- Acute bacterial tonsillitis (disorder)
- Pneumococcal tonsillitis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for additional code to fully describe disease or condition
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J03.8 - Acute tonsillitis due to other specified organisms'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J03.8. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.