ICD-10-CM Code J04.2
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J04.2 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of acute laryngotracheitis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J04 is used to code Upper respiratory tract infection
Upper respiratory tract infections (URI or URTI) are illnesses caused by an acute infection which involves the upper respiratory tract including the nose, sinuses, pharynx or larynx. This commonly includes tonsillitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis, sinusitis, otitis media, and the common cold.
|ICD 9 Codes:||465.9, 465.9|
Coding Notes for J04.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Laryngotracheitis NOS
- Tracheitis (acute) with laryngitis (acute)
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acute obstructive laryngotracheitis - instead, use code J05.0
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Chronic laryngotracheitis - instead, use code J37.1
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri with MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Acute laryngotracheitis (disorder)
- Acute viral laryngotracheitis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J04.2 - Acute laryngotracheitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J04.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 464.20 was previously used, J04.2 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.