ICD-10-CM Code J05.0
Acute obstructive laryngitis [croup]
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J05.0 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of acute obstructive laryngitis [croup]. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J050 is used to code Croup
Croup is a type of respiratory infection that is usually caused by a virus. The infection leads to swelling inside the wind pipe, which interferes with normal breathing and produces the classic symptoms of "barking" cough, stridor, and a hoarse voice. Fever and runny nose may also be present. These symptoms may be mild, moderate, or severe. Often it starts or is worse at night. It normally lasts one to two days.
|ICD 9 Code:||464.4|
The steeple sign as seen on an AP neck X-ray of a child with croup
Coding Notes for J05.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Obstructive laryngitis (acute) NOS
- Obstructive laryngotracheitis NOS
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri with MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Acute laryngotracheitis with obstruction (disorder)
- Croup (disorder)
- Recurrent allergic croup (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J05.0 - Acute obstructive laryngitis [croup]'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J05.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J05.0 and a single ICD9 code, 464.4 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.