ICD-10-CM Code J06.9
Acute upper respiratory infection, unspecified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J06.9 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of acute upper respiratory infection, unspecified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J06 is used to code Upper respiratory tract infection
Upper respiratory tract infections (URI or URTI) are illnesses caused by an acute infection which involves the upper respiratory tract including the nose, sinuses, pharynx or larynx. This commonly includes tonsillitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis, sinusitis, otitis media, and the common cold.
|ICD 9 Codes:||465.9, 465.9|
Coding Notes for J06.9 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Upper respiratory disease, acute
- Upper respiratory infection NOS
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri with MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Purulent nasal discharge (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J06.9 - Acute upper respiratory infection, unspecified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J06.9. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J06.9 and a single ICD9 code, 465.9 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.