ICD-10-CM Code J09
Influenza due to certain identified influenza viruses
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code J09 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the one child codes of J09 that describes the diagnosis 'influenza due to certain identified influenza viruses' in more detail.
- J09 Influenza due to certain identified influenza viruses NON-BILLABLE
- J09.X Influenza due to identified influenza NON-BILLABLE
- J09.X1 Influenza due to identified novel influenza A virus with pneumonia BILLABLE
- J09.X2 Influenza due to identified novel influenza A virus with other respiratory manifestations BILLABLE
- J09.X3 Influenza due to identified novel influenza A virus with gastrointestinal manifestations BILLABLE
- J09.X9 Influenza due to identified novel influenza A virus with other manifestations BILLABLE
The ICD code J09 is used to code Swine influenza
Swine influenza, also called pig influenza, swine flu, hog flu and pig flu, is an infection caused by any one of several types of swine influenza viruses. Swine influenza virus (SIV) or swine-origin influenza virus (S-OIV) is any strain of the influenza family of viruses that is endemic in pigs. As of 2009, the known SIV strains include influenza C and the subtypes of influenza A known as H1N1, H1N2, H2N1, H3N1, H3N2, and H2N3.
Electron microscope image of the reassorted H1N1 influenza virus photographed at the CDC Influenza Laboratory. The viruses are 80–120 nanometres in diameter.
Coding Notes for J09 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Influenza due to other identified influenza virus - instead, use code J10.-
- Influenza due to unidentified influenza virus - instead, use code J11.-
- Seasonal influenza due to other identified influenza virus - instead, use code J10.-
- Seasonal influenza due to unidentified influenza virus - instead, use code J11.-
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for additional code to fully describe disease or condition