ICD-10-CM Code J13
Pneumonia due to Streptococcus pneumoniae
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J13 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of pneumonia due to Streptococcus pneumoniae. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J13 is used to code Bronchopneumonia
Bronchopneumonia, bronchial pneumonia or bronchogenic pneumonia (not to be confused with lobar pneumonia) is the acute inflammation of the walls of the bronchioles. It is a type of pneumonia characterized by multiple foci of isolated, acute consolidation, affecting one or more pulmonary lobules.
|Specialty:||Infectious Disease, Pulmonology|
|MeSH Codes:||D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014, D018410, D018410, D018410|
|ICD 9 Codes:||480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 770.0, 481, 482, 483|
Coding Notes for J13 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Bronchopneumonia due to S. pneumoniae
- Associated influenza, if applicable (J09.X1, J10.0-, J11.0-) See code J09.X
Code Also Note:
Code AlsoA Code Also note indicates that two or more codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but the order of codes is at the coder's discretion. Code order depends on the severity of the conditions and the reason for the encounter.
- Associated abscess, if applicable See code J85.1
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Congenital pneumonia due to S. pneumoniae - instead, use code P23.6
- Lobar pneumonia, unspecified organism - instead, use code J18.1
- Pneumonia due to other streptococci (J15.3-J15.4) - instead, use code J15.3-
- DRG Group #193-195 - Simple pneumonia and pleurisy with MCC.
- DRG Group #193-195 - Simple pneumonia and pleurisy with CC.
- DRG Group #193-195 - Simple pneumonia and pleurisy without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with MCC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with CC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Pneumococcal pneumonia (disorder)
- Pneumococcal pneumonia associated with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (disorder)
- Pneumococcal lobar pneumonia (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J13 - Pneumonia due to Streptococcus pneumoniae'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J13. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J13 and a single ICD9 code, 481 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.