ICD-10-CM Code J20
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code J20 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the ten child codes of J20 that describes the diagnosis 'acute bronchitis' in more detail.
- J20 Acute bronchitis NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE J20.0 Acute bronchitis
- BILLABLE J20.1 Acute bronchitis
- BILLABLE J20.2 Acute bronchitis
- BILLABLE J20.3 Acute bronchitis
- BILLABLE J20.4 Acute bronchitis
- BILLABLE J20.5 Acute bronchitis
- BILLABLE J20.6 Acute bronchitis
- BILLABLE J20.7 Acute bronchitis
- BILLABLE J20.8 Acute bronchitis
- BILLABLE J20.9 Acute
The ICD code J20 is used to code Respiratory disease
Respiratory disease is a medical term that encompasses pathological conditions affecting the organs and tissues that make gas exchange possible in higher organisms, and includes conditions of the upper respiratory tract, trachea, bronchi, bronchioles, alveoli, pleura and pleural cavity, and the nerves and muscles of breathing. Respiratory diseases range from mild and self-limiting, such as the common cold, to life-threatening entities like bacterial pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, and lung cancer.
|MeSH Codes:||D012140, D012140, D012140, D012140, D012140, D012140|
|ICD 9 Codes:||460, 470, 480, 490, 500, 519|
Micrograph of an emphysematous lung; emphysema is a common respiratory disease, strongly associated with smoking. H&E stain.
Coding Notes for J20 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Acute and subacute bronchitis (with) bronchospasm
- Acute and subacute bronchitis (with) tracheitis
- Acute and subacute bronchitis (with) tracheobronchitis, acute
- Acute and subacute fibrinous bronchitis
- Acute and subacute membranous bronchitis
- Acute and subacute purulent bronchitis
- Acute and subacute septic bronchitis
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Bronchitis NOS - instead, use Code J40
- Tracheobronchitis NOS - instead, use Code J40
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Acute bronchitis with bronchiectasis - instead, use code J47.0
- Acute bronchitis with chronic obstructive asthma - instead, use code J44.0
- Acute bronchitis with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - instead, use code J44.0
- Allergic bronchitis NOS - instead, use code J45.909-
- Bronchitis due to chemicals, fumes and vapors - instead, use code J68.0
- Chronic bronchitis NOS - instead, use Code J42
- Chronic mucopurulent bronchitis - instead, use code J41.1
- Chronic obstructive bronchitis - instead, use code J44.-
- Chronic obstructive tracheobronchitis - instead, use code J44.-
- Chronic simple bronchitis - instead, use code J41.0
- Chronic tracheobronchitis - instead, use Code J42
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J20 - Acute bronchitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J20. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.