ICD-10-CM Code J31.0
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J31.0 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of chronic rhinitis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J310 is used to code Chronic atrophic rhinitis
Chronic atrophic rhinitis is a chronic inflammation of nose characterised by atrophy of nasal mucosa, including the glands, turbinate bones and the nerve elements supplying the nose. Chronic atrophic rhinitis may be primary and secondary. Special forms of chronic atrophic rhinitis are rhinitis sicca anterior and ozaena.
|ICD 9 Code:||472.0|
Coding Notes for J31.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Atrophic rhinitis (chronic)
- Granulomatous rhinitis (chronic)
- Hypertrophic rhinitis (chronic)
- Obstructive rhinitis (chronic)
- Purulent rhinitis (chronic)
- Rhinitis (chronic) NOS
- Ulcerative rhinitis (chronic)
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Allergic rhinitis (J30.1-J30.9) - instead, use code J30.1-
- Vasomotor rhinitis - instead, use code J30.0
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri with MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Catarrhal nasal discharge (disorder)
- Posterior rhinorrhea (disorder)
- Ulcerative rhinitis (disorder)
- Rhinitis medicamentosa (disorder)
- Rhinitis due to alpha-adrenergic blocking agent (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J31.0 - Chronic rhinitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J31.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 472.0 was previously used, J31.0 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.
Parent Code: J31 - Chronic rhinitis, nasopharyngitis and pharyngitis